Raccoon Events Sustainability Plan
Our goal is to deliver carbon-neutral events across our portfolio by 2025.
We have set up a sustainability working group which will focus on
- Assessing and reducing the environmental impact of our business (Raccoon Events Ltd)
- Assessing and reducing the environmental impact of our suppliers
- Working with our exhibitors to reduce the environmental impact of their attendance at the event
- Developing tools to support our visitors in reducing their environmental impact
- Exploring offsetting opportunities
Roadmap and milestones
We will have quarterly meetings that will include representatives from marketing, operations, our sustainability lead and our CEO.
Each of the 5 areas will have quarterly and annual targets that lead into our broader goal of delivering carbon-neutral exhibition by 2025.
Section 1 – Assessing and reducing the environmental impact of our business (Raccoon Events Ltd)
- By end of March 2023, we will have developed a robust and objective method of measuring our environmental impact as a business and identified ways to reduce our carbon footprint. We should have implemented at least 3 significant changes to our business that have made a noticeable impact.
- By end of March 2024, we will have insight reports for our quarterly sustainability meetings that show our progress towards carbon neutrality. We will have the tools to enable us to create a company culture that puts sustainability first and a business that continually looks to measure and reduce its environmental impact.
- By end of March 2025, we will have developed a company culture where sustainability is endemic to our business with clear measurements and continuous improvements happening organically. At this point our remaining carbon footprint should be offset.
Section 2 – Assessing and reducing the environmental impact of our suppliers
- By end of March 2023, we will have selected suppliers that share our commitment to sustainability and actively de-selected companies that do not. We will encourage all suppliers to consider the environmental impact of their actions, remove unnecessary or unsustainable practices and to recommend ways to reduce the carbon footprint of the event. All suppliers will be required to submit a report within 1 month of the event trading detailing their carbon impact.
- By end of March 2024, we will set a carbon target for all suppliers which they will be required to meet in order to partner with us. We will encourage insetting over offsetting and will actively seek out suppliers that have a continuous improvement programme
- By end of March 2025, our carbon impact target for our suppliers will be 0 – we will only work with suppliers that are able to deliver a carbon neutral event. We will favour companies that use insetting rather than offsetting to achieve this.
Section 3 – Working with our exhibitors to reduce the environmental impact of their attendance at our events
- By end of March 2023, we will create an advisory booklet and messaging scheme that encourages exhibitors to adopt a more sustainable way of exhibiting. We will restrict unsustainable exhibiting practices and will develop a comms plan that helps educate exhibitors about best practice. We will start to gather data to enable us to measure the carbon impact of our exhibitors.
- By end of March 2024, we will look to evolve the advice further and actively feedback carbon scoring and ideas for improvement to our exhibitors based on their relative scoring. We will set an advisory threshold for exhibitors on carbon impact. We will have a more robust measurement of the environmental impact of our exhibitors’ attendance at our event
- By end of March 2025, we will seek to enforce the sustainability threshold for exhibitors and not accept bookings from companies unable to comply with this. We will have a detailed and embedded culture of sustainability amongst our exhibitors with a continuous feedback loop to help improve their carbon impact. We will be able to accurately measure and offset any remaining carbon impact.
Section 4 – Developing tools to support our visitors in reducing their environmental impact
- By end of March 2023, we will have created an advisory booklet and messaging that encourages visitors to attend sustainably. We will offer visitor support tools such as bags for life, water fountains and carbon offsets. We will start to measure the environmental impact of our visitors
- By end of March 2024, we will have an objective way of measuring the environmental impact of our visitors. We will dynamically serve advice on how to reduce their impact or offset it.
- By end of March 2025, visitors will be able to automatically offset their environmental impact and receive dynamically served advice on how to reduce it at point of booking. We will be able to accurately measure and offset any remaining balance.
Section 5 – Offsetting
Our plans for 2022 and 2023 are to build accurate tools to measure the environmental impact of our event across 4 sections. Our is to continually MEASURE and REDUCE on a quarterly basis before considering offsetting options.
By 2024 we will have been able to measure accurately across all 4 areas above and then select an offsetting partner and ensure that the event is carbon neutral.
The sustainability working group will consist of the following people:
- Jo Tyler (Marketing Director)
- Matt Lambert (Operations Director)
- Mike Seaman (CEO)
Section leads are:
|Section 1 – Raccoon Events||[email protected]|
|Section 2 – Our Suppliers||[email protected]|
|Section 3 – Our Exhibitors||[email protected]|
|Section 4 – Our Visitors||[email protected]|
|Section 5 – Offsetting||[email protected]|
For questions or suggestions about our sustainability policy please contact [email protected]
Sustainability is very important to us and our aim is to offset the environmental impact of our event at every stage in the production chain. This page will be regularly updated with our latest sustainability initiatives, these include:
- Challenging all contractors to be more sustainable and actively de-selecting companies that are not making efforts in this area
- Accreditation process for exhibitors based on sustainability
- Carbon offset for all event associated activities
- Integrated carbon offset to visitor registration pathway
Our aim is to offset the environmental impact of our event at every stage in the production chain. We challenge our contractors to be more sustainable and actively de-select companies that are not making efforts in this area. In addition to this, we have introduced a range of initiatives that aim to make it as easy as possible for our visitors and exhibitors to manage the impact of their attendance at the show.
We have summarised our sustainable initiatives below but we are always open to new ideas so if there is anything else that you think we should be doing then please contact me at [email protected]